I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. -Henry David Thoreau
Raised in the prarie winds I simply must comment on this CBC story regarding Regina's municipal and transit workers on strike.
"The strike affects transit, garbage collection, road, sewer and water services, park maintenance and recreational facilities.
Mayor Pat Fiacco said that a disagreement between the city and its workers over pension contributions made an agreement difficult to reach.
In order to keep employee pension plans viable, the city has been required to contribute 3.4 per cent. The city says that amount should be factored in when considering what pay raises employees should receive."
Well it's good to know your value to a society. That's right our road crews, transit, sewer service and garbage collection - not to mention park maintencance and recreation facilities - are, according to Fiacco, services only worthy of a 'BOTTOM LINE' negoatiation.
The BOTTOM LINE of city expenditiure is simply more important than that silly thing called a pension. I mean the nerve of those workers - 20 years of service and undoubtably care for the municipality and they want what!?? A contribution to their meager pension without it being 'factored in' to the current wage?
Let's look at what this really means if pension contribution is counted toward pay increase and raises. I - the employer - want to give you a raise, but you understand that of that money a percentage is given to your pension. So you actually get a smaller raise, so that when I contribute to your pension I'm out the same amount of bucks overall. Hey, I maintained the BOTTOM LINE and gave everyone the impression that these workers matter! A day in the life of a mayor - how nice.
So what does the Message from the mayor on the city of Regina Information services page say about the city?
Welcome to Regina, a city I am proud to call home. Regina is an excellent place to raise a family, with an abundance of parks , family attractions, bicycle pathways, organized sports and sports facilities, and excellent school systems. It is a city that celebrates its cultural diversity and is known for its generous, friendly people. Regina is a dynamic, progressive community, with a strong, diversified economy and a quality of life that is exceptional.
I wonder if he has considered that the people maintaining those parks, bicycle pathways, sports facilities and other 'family attractions' which keep people 'friendly' are the people he is cutting funding for? Is his 'excellent school system' on the block next week? If the economy is so 'strong' and 'diversified' why not maintain pension contributions independent of pay scale increases? Finally, how will an 'exceptional' 'quality of life' be maintained without a decent living wage with benefits?
The Regina Leader Post reports of this strike that:
The unions have been battling city officials for a contract comparable to that of City of Saskatoon workers and employees at the Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Plant.And continues:
Last Thursday, the city offered the unions a contract with a $500 cash bonus for 2004, a one-per-cent pay raise for 2005 and a three-per-cent pay raise in 2006. City of Saskatoon workers got a 2.17-per-cent pay raises in each of three years while the Buffalo Pound workers received raises of one per cent, three per cent and three per cent.Since we're now comparing Saskatoon to Regina - I was unable to locate what Mr. Fiacco earns in a year but according to the 2003 Saskatoon Civic Elections Candidates' Information Booklet, the mayor of Saskatoon earns $84,170 - this is prior to the 2005 approved pay raise reported by the Saskatoon StarPhoenix which I was unable to locate in their archives. The booklet states:
An office at City Hall is provided for the Mayor, as well as the services of an Administrative Assistant and a secretary. The salary of the Mayor is 77.27% of that of a Saskatchewan CabinetMinister, one-third of which is non-taxable. In 2003, the Mayor's salary is $84,170.So I will assume that the Mayor of Regina earns approximately the same amount as the Mayor of Saskatoon. This means of the $84,170 earned, $28,056.66 is non-taxable as of 2003.
This is not leading to the conclusion that either mayor is over-paid or that Mr. Fiacco should put HIS money where his mouth is...but perhaps the mayor should heed some words of wisdom as he shares his velvet cushion.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home